Today is
ClintonMass.com
Calendar   Documents   Churches   Media   History   Hidden Clinton   Walking Guide   Resources   Disclaimer

Discussion Forums

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New registrations are temporarily disabled due to spammers. If you'd like to request an account, please contact me, specify which user name you would like, and I can set you up. -- Ken

#1 02.28.12 2:47pm

Thinky

Smoking at private clubs

Recently some smoking friends  expressed concern that there is a movement afoot to ban smoking in Clinton private clubs (VFW, Turner's etc).

How would this be done? Would it require a town vote? Is it a Board of Health or Select Board issue?

For the record, I totally support allowing private clubs to decide their own smoking policies.

Last edited by Thinky (02.28.12 2:47pm)

Where are we going?....and what's with this handbasket?

#2 02.28.12 3:29pm

Ken
Website

Re: Smoking at private clubs

I was going to pull up the discussion from when the current smoking ban was put into place, but I guess it pre-dates when we switched over to the current forums, and I can't find it on archive.org.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the specifics, only that there was a lot of anxiety from business owners as to what might happen to their bottom line, and none of it materialized.

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

#3 02.28.12 6:08pm

Thinky

Thanks, Ken!

I found some Massachusetts case law regarding municipalities banning smoking in private clubs:

http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/446/446mass310.html

From this it appears that a town board of health itself can enact a regulation to ban smoking in local private clubs - by a vote of the board. I don't see that a town vote is required.

Anyone know if this is true?

#4 02.29.12 7:29pm

Thinky

Called the the Board of Health today and got my own answers.

Word is that it is very likely there will be an article on the warrant at this year's Town Meeting to ban smoking in private clubs, so the voters may get to decide. It is possible for the Board of Health to vote on a ban themselves, if they choose to, but they are currently short a voting member.

Looks like clubs that want to preserve smoking indoors better get it together to fight this initiative.

Personally, I do not like smoke filled rooms, but I firmly believe a private organization's members should be able to make decisions regarding legal activity on premises.

#5 03.05.12 3:31pm

OldeEnglish

I can see places like the PAV & Elks allowing it as they're private clubs. But I've been down the Vets and smoking was allowed. How is that possible without memberships? Never understood how that worked.

Who me?

#6 04.13.12 3:15pm

Steve

I do know for a fact, that when some of those private Clubs chose to not allow smoking it nearly drove them out of business, because they simply went to another private Club. I think the reason smoking is banned in Public is that it is a health issue. If all clubs were on the same playing field and did not allow smoking, it would be healthier for us all and business would not be sacrificed.

#7 04.13.12 4:11pm

DanMnz

Steve wrote:

I think the reason smoking is banned in Public is that it is a health issue.

Well that is a known fact.

Steve wrote:

If all clubs were on the same playing field and did not allow smoking, it would be healthier for us all and business would not be sacrificed.

Healthier...yes, but fair to private clubs...no.

As far as one club deciding to ban it and loosing members to another club, well that's just fair business practice. I'm all for the clubs allowing it, but if they want to ban it then it needs to be banned in ALL the clubs not just some.

#8 04.13.12 5:11pm

Jester

I frequent one of those clubs, and I would go there a lot more often (and spend more money) if smoking was banned.  I never understand why people smoke anyways.  It's expensive, it smells bad, and it's bad for your health.  Whenever I see a smoker, I always assume that they were a kid that gave in to peer pressure, and started smoking, and now as an adult, they're addicted and can't quit.  If that's not the case, then I really can't figure out WHY they'd ever start smoking.

#9 04.13.12 7:41pm

Joe G

I'm a smoker, but I don't belong to any private clubs, so I take my smoking out doors. This doesn't bother me as I'm out doors year round in my job. I don't even smoke in my own home (out of respect for my wife), anyone driving by the house will often see me on the porch. However, that said, banning smoking in PRIVATE clubs where members PAY dues to belong is over reach of a big brother mentality. Next, governments will ban smoking in our PRIVATE HOMES. Why not ban DRINKING too, it is also a health hazard. I bet more people have died from drunk drivers (or from driving drunk) than second hand smoke. I know, lets ban sunshine, after all skin cancer is a health risk too. The power afforded the elected health boards in this state (where one does not have to be in the healthcare field) is ludicrous.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's broke, fix it only if you can't live without it.

#10 04.14.12 3:26pm

emt8672

Jester I think your coment if pretty funny you dont understand why people smoke its expensice smells bad and is bad for your self.  But drinking is not expensice definatly smells bad and oh yeah bad for you health.  All I want to say is I have never seen anyone get arrested for smoking and driving...... drinking yeah they do for that

any just an fyi i did not smoke as a kid

#11 04.14.12 4:19pm

Jester

emt8672 wrote:

Jester I think your coment if pretty funny you dont understand why people smoke its expensice smells bad and is bad for your self.  But drinking is not expensice definatly smells bad and oh yeah bad for you health.  All I want to say is I have never seen anyone get arrested for smoking and driving...... drinking yeah they do for that

any just an fyi i did not smoke as a kid

I can go to a bar, where everyone is drinking, and go home and you can't smell alcohol on me.  Go to the same bar where everyone is smoking, and I'll need to wash all my clothes and take a shower.

Yes, drinking is bad for you, too.  Lots of things are bad for you.  The difference is that if I'm drinking, it doesn't affect the person next to me.  But if I'm smoking, the secondhand smoke is affecting everyone around me.

I'm not a smoker, and I've never been a smoker.  I'm not trying to pick a fight with smokers, but I am really curious.  Why did you start smoking?  Does it make you feel good?  Not to sound stupid, but I really am wondering why people smoke.

#12 04.14.12 6:09pm

Joe G

Jester wrote:

I can go to a bar, where everyone is drinking, and go home and you can't smell alcohol on me.  Go to the same bar where everyone is smoking, and I'll need to wash all my clothes and take a shower.

You have the freedom to choose which bar you go to. If you choose a private club where there is smoking and your clothes smell after, it's your own fault, don't choose that option again.

Jester wrote:

The difference is that if I'm drinking, it doesn't affect the person next to me.

Depends...If that person is a passenger in your car, and you are drinking, it may mean his life. If not him/her, it could be the life of someone crossing a stree when you're driving home.

Jester wrote:

But if I'm smoking, the secondhand smoke is affecting everyone around me.

And those affected maid the choice to be there.....it is a PRIVATE club after all.

Last edited by Joe G (04.14.12 6:10pm)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's broke, fix it only if you can't live without it.

#13 11.05.12 2:45pm

brian

Speaking of smoking in public, did anyone know November is prostate cancer awareness month?

Board footer