Today is
ClintonMass.com
Calendar   Documents   Churches   Media   History   Hidden Clinton   Walking Guide   Resources   Disclaimer

Discussion Forums

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New registrations are temporarily disabled due to spammers. If you'd like to request an account, please contact me, specify which user name you would like, and I can set you up. -- Ken

#1 11.11.09 6:47am

Ken
Website

Police chief warns of layoffs, fewer officers per shift

"Police Chief Mark R. Laverdure last night warned selectmen there could be patrolmen layoffs — or at the very least, reductions in the number of officers per shift — because more than half of the overtime budget for the fiscal year is gone."

http://www.telegram.com/article/2009111 … 911110325/

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

#2 11.24.09 10:52pm

JRW

Re: Police chief warns of layoffs, fewer officers per shift

Clinton FD gets stimulus money

While the police department didn't get any money from this, it was nice to see some good budgetary news for the public safety departments here in Town.  The $50,000 should go a little ways this fiscal year.  Too bad it is only a one time drop in the bucket though...

Always Check Your Six!

#3 11.26.09 10:15am

GS1897

I thought I remembered the Police union having to make a choice between having to lay off a few officers or taking a salary reduction to meet this year's budget. And at the time they decided to go with the layoff option.

Is this the direct results of that decision, or would this be another round?

#4 11.26.09 10:39am

Joe G

They were asked to forgo raises (elimination of an increase, not a salary reduction) to avoid layoffs.

Find it Here

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's broke, fix it only if you can't live without it.

#5 11.26.09 9:05pm

Tom C

GS1897 wrote:

I thought I remembered the Police union having to make a choice between having to lay off a few officers or taking a salary reduction to meet this year's budget. And at the time they decided to go with the layoff option.

This discussion did come up during the budget season but the leaders of the BOS waited so long and then did not want to enter into negotations with any of the unions to discuss possibilities.  As much as I can recollect, it was the bos who wanted a unilateral decision power which under the circumstances was a poor way to handle such a negotiation.  Further supporting why we need to remove leadership next election cycle.

Tom C

Where ever you are, you are always here.

#6 12.07.09 12:43pm

LEO

Tom C wrote:
GS1897 wrote:

This discussion did come up during the budget season but the leaders of the BOS waited so long and then did not want to enter into negotations with any of the unions to discuss possibilities.  As much as I can recollect, it was the bos who wanted a unilateral decision power which under the circumstances was a poor way to handle such a negotiation.  Further supporting why we need to remove leadership next election cycle.

Tom C

Well put tom,

and on another note,this isnt the first time the POLICE suffers layoffs. Of course if you ask MRD she'll say "there has never been a layoff in clinton" which is untrue,in 2003 2 night dispatchers were axed and never hired back,they ended up hiring new ones 18 months later and it caused more money to be spent in overtime then it would of cost to keep the dispatchers on. And the CPD is even lower in patrol force now then they were then!should be interesting,people should start buying guns cuz there wont be a police department to protect us....

#7 12.07.09 4:43pm

MariahHL

LEO wrote:
Tom C wrote:
GS1897 wrote:

Tom C

Well put tom,

and on another note,this isnt the first time the POLICE suffers layoffs. Of course if you ask MRD she'll say "there has never been a layoff in clinton" which is untrue,in 2003 2 night dispatchers were axed and never hired back,they ended up hiring new ones 18 months later and it caused more money to be spent in overtime then it would of cost to keep the dispatchers on. And the CPD is even lower in patrol force now then they were then!should be interesting,people should start buying guns cuz there wont be a police department to protect us....

The BOS waited way to late to start on this issue and others that had to do with our impending fiscal crisis here in Clinton. They knew that the Fire and Police departments were in crisis, and that SERIOUS contract negotiations were going to be needed (since some were slated and got raises this year of over 6%) ...As an aside, I will never understand how the unions can be ok with a 6% raise on one side of their face, and then have to layoff personnel on the other..

Now we all are going to pay the price, and this one's high- as it relates to public safety.

I echo the statements here- TIME FOR SOME CHANGE ON THE BOS.

"I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done."
-Lucille Ball-

#8 12.08.09 11:30am

OldeEnglish

I've never heard of a union going without a pay increase in or to avoid a lay-off.

Who me?

#9 12.08.09 1:02pm

LEO

MariahHL wrote:
LEO wrote:
Tom C wrote:

Tom C

Well put tom,

The BOS waited way to late to start on this issue and others that had to do with our impending fiscal crisis here in Clinton. They knew that the Fire and Police departments were in crisis, and that SERIOUS contract negotiations were going to be needed (since some were slated and got raises this year of over 6%) ...As an aside, I will never understand how the unions can be ok with a 6% raise on one side of their face, and then have to layoff personnel on the other..

Now we all are going to pay the price, and this one's high- as it relates to public safety.

I echo the statements here- TIME FOR SOME CHANGE ON THE BOS.

I hope your speaking of the fire dept. getting 6% raises as the Police dept. recieved a cost of living increase of 3percent and thats a fact. Dont start rumors of 6% raises for the police because it is false. I doubt the fire dept. got 6 as well but i dont know. All the power to them if they did get a raise for what they have to do....

#10 12.08.09 2:24pm

MariahHL

LEO wrote:

[
I hope your speaking of the fire dept. getting 6% raises as the Police dept. recieved a cost of living increase of 3percent and thats a fact. Dont start rumors of 6% raises for the police because it is false. I doubt the fire dept. got 6 as well but i dont know. All the power to them if they did get a raise for what they have to do....

I need to find the proposed budget they passed at the last town meeting and I will post it. There were many line items of salary increases (Fire, Police and others (BOH for example)) that seemed excessive in this economic time- And, I am sure were Union negotiations.  My point was (since I am not in a union) how can a Union negotiate raises for some, while making the decision to lay off others? Wouldn't it have been more prudent to freeze all raises and try to keep people on?

I agree they should be fairly paid. But, here in the private sector, we had the choice of taking a pay cut of 5% or laying people off- We ALL chose to take the 5% cut. Something I have NEVER heard of a Union doing,

"I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done."
-Lucille Ball-

#11 12.08.09 3:57pm

JRW

There have been numerous examples of public safety unions not taking raises this past budget year, perhaps not in Clinton, but it did happen.  I believe Webster's police didn't take a raise, as was pointed out by someone in one of the threads last year. 

There are also a lot that did take raises and suffered layoffs. 

I would guess that the yay/nay votes had a lot to do with the age of the officers.  Older officers don't want to give up salary, as it factors into their retirment calcs., and they know the people younger than them will get laid off.  The younger people know that they will get laid off, and vote for giving up the raises.  A broad generalization, I realize, but I'm sure that is a large factor in it.  I think Tom pointed that out with the Teachers last year.

Always Check Your Six!

#12 12.08.09 5:57pm

Big Red

JRW wrote:

There have been numerous examples of public safety unions not taking raises this past budget year, perhaps not in Clinton, but it did happen.

Not sure if they're union but Probation are working 8 or so days for free (furlough).

If you can dream-and not make dreams your master; If you can think-and not make thoughts your aim...

#13 12.09.09 2:09pm

OldeEnglish

JRW wrote:

There have been numerous examples of public safety unions not taking raises this past budget year, perhaps not in Clinton, but it did happen.  I believe Webster's police didn't take a raise, as was pointed out by someone in one of the threads last year. 

There are also a lot that did take raises and suffered layoffs. 

I would guess that the yay/nay votes had a lot to do with the age of the officers.  Older officers don't want to give up salary, as it factors into their retirment calcs., and they know the people younger than them will get laid off.  The younger people know that they will get laid off, and vote for giving up the raises.  A broad generalization, I realize, but I'm sure that is a large factor in it.  I think Tom pointed that out with the Teachers last year.

Only in Websta!

Who me?

#14 12.09.09 9:19pm

JRW

OldeEnglish wrote:

Only in Websta!

LOL

Always Check Your Six!

#15 01.20.10 1:43pm

dantheman

boooooooooooooooo whoooooooooooooooooo, let them get part time jobs!

Board footer