Today is
ClintonMass.com
Calendar   Documents   Churches   Media   History   Hidden Clinton   Walking Guide   Resources   Disclaimer

Discussion Forums

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New registrations are temporarily disabled due to spammers. If you'd like to request an account, please contact me, specify which user name you would like, and I can set you up. -- Ken

#26 04.13.08 3:17pm

Julie

Re: 40 Caves ?

JoelF wrote:
Ken wrote:
JoelF wrote:

So that would be one of the following:
May 4th
May 18th
May 25th
Any date better for others?

Personally, I can do the 4th and the 25th, but not until 1pm or so, as I work Sunday mornings. May 18th is the Clinton Greenway Conservation Trust's Annual River Walk (also a great hike for anyone interested), which I will be helping with.

At this point it looks like the 4th is best for me.

The 4th works.. my son has a game at 3pm so hopefully its early enough that we can make it!
:-)

#27 04.13.08 3:53pm

JoelF
Website

SP wrote:

Cool!

Are there other, equally good places in the region to see evidence and the effects of glacial Lake Nashua?

Yes.  Look at the surficial geologic map I posted and you will see many.  One really good one is the Dexter Drumlin (sorry Lance).  A drumlin is a hill shaped by an advancing glacier.   The Dexter Drumlin is a classic example of a drumlin.

Another is the area Ken mentioned in Bolton which contains a large "kame terrace" and some deltaic deposits of sand and gravel.  The deposits formed as the retreating glacier partially filled valley...the deposits fomed between the ice and the steep valley wall.  If the Bolton Landfill/Transfer Sation on Forbush Mill Road is open, stop in and go all the way up to the back of the property...you are standing on the shore of Glacial Lake Nashua and you get a great perspective on how large the lake was.  As you look out the the West you can see the Davis gravel pit below the landfill...this pit contains a huge deposist over 100 feet thick of the kame terrace deposits.  Some of the deposits fotmed when the lake was there and some were "reworked" by streams and meltwater after the lake was gone.

SP wrote:

Does Glacial Lake Nashua explain why the northern half of Clinton is mostly sandy, and the southern half of Clinton is mostly rocky?

The glaciers and the lake are certainly the agents responsible for the deposits of the sediments but the original topography dictates why certain deposist formed where they did.

SP wrote:

Is the Dry Prairie Bluff at the end of Mount View Drive a glacial formation?

Yes, that is the same Kame Terrace deposit found at the Bolton Landfill and old Bolton Airport.

SP wrote:

Is there anything unique about the bedrock of southern Clinton that explains why the dam is pinned there?

The dam location is really a large fault scarp that separate the intrusive igneous "granitic" rocks that form the Acre, and the metasedimentary "phyllite" and "quartzite" the form the northern portion of the Town.  All of the rocks formed during the Devonian Period known as "The Age of Fishes" around 400 million years ago.  The dark slate-like phyllites in the area were originally ocean mud deposits while the quartzites were beach sands.  The granites were deep magmas that cooled slowly forming the large feldspar crystals.

SP wrote:

The Acre, Cedar Hill, Burdett Hill, and Woodruff Heights all show evidence of ledge, which might explain why they rise so high above the riverbed; do you have any idea how Greeley Hill was formed?

Greely Hill appears to have formed as a large delta of sand a gravel on the shore of Glacial Lake Nashua.  A delta forms when a muddy or sediment filled river or stream enters a calm body of water and drops its sediment load at the river mouth.  The classic forset beds (thin layers of sand and gravel tilted at about a 45 degree angle) which indicate a delta, could be seen in the old Bates gravel pit in Lancaster...before a crop of house grew in there.

Last edited by JoelF (04.13.08 3:55pm)

JoelF
(The comments/ideas presented are my personal opinion, not those of my company, clients, or organizations I represent, unless otherwise noted.)

#28 04.13.08 4:31pm

Big Red

JoelF wrote:
Ken wrote:
JoelF wrote:

So that would be one of the following:
May 4th
May 18th
May 25th
Any date better for others?

Personally, I can do the 4th and the 25th, but not until 1pm or so, as I work Sunday mornings. May 18th is the Clinton Greenway Conservation Trust's Annual River Walk (also a great hike for anyone interested), which I will be helping with.

Sounds good also.

Early afternoon is good as well.

If you can dream-and not make dreams your master; If you can think-and not make thoughts your aim...

#29 04.16.08 4:45pm

Maureen

JoelF wrote:

So I have told a couple of people about this but want to confirm date/time before I go blabbing any more.  So we are looking at the 4th of May (Sunday) at what time? 1? 2?

#30 04.16.08 4:48pm

JoelF
Website

I can do 1:00 PM on the 4th.

Ken and Phil...you guys in?

JoelF
(The comments/ideas presented are my personal opinion, not those of my company, clients, or organizations I represent, unless otherwise noted.)

#31 04.16.08 5:20pm

SP

I'm in, with boys!

#32 04.16.08 5:57pm

SJT

What are the kids' ages? Mine are 5 and 6 and love to hike.

(we apologise for the inconvenience)

#33 04.16.08 6:17pm

Joe G

SP wrote:

I'm in, with boys!

Send me into the woods with my teenagers? Someone may not come out!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's broke, fix it only if you can't live without it.

#34 04.16.08 6:32pm

Ken
Website

JoelF wrote:

Ken and Phil...you guys in?

Confirmed, and Moe will be joining us as well.

Since this has been in my head, I took a walk out there yesterday.

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

#35 04.16.08 8:25pm

Julie

SJT wrote:

Mine are 5 & 7 .. We have a game at 3pm so may go in with everyone and find our own way out if pressing for time..

Last edited by Julie (04.16.08 8:26pm)

#36 04.16.08 9:49pm

Ken
Website

Julie wrote:

We have a game at 3pm so may go in with everyone and find our own way out if pressing for time..

I think you'll have time. The hike to Forty Caves is twenty minutes or so, without stopping to enjoy North Brook.

#37 04.16.08 11:53pm

SP

Mine are 7 and 9- and I'll have to check the little league schedule as well, come to think of it.

#38 04.17.08 7:24am

Christine Q

oooh ... I'm in too -- with my 5- and 7-year olds. Oh, and a husband. :-)

Thanks, Joel. I'm excited to do this!

#39 04.17.08 9:14am

JoelF
Website

SJT wrote:

I will probably bring my older two which are 6 and 3...but the 3 yr old can keep-up with the rest.

Last edited by JoelF (04.17.08 9:15am)

JoelF

#40 04.17.08 9:17am

JoelF
Website

Christine Q wrote:

oooh ... I'm in too -- with my 5- and 7-year olds. Oh, and a husband. :-)

Thanks, Joel. I'm excited to do this!

We can't wait...it's a fun place.  I'll bring along some geologic maps for everyone to look at.

JoelF

#41 04.17.08 10:13am

JimMcD

Joel,  how long does it usually take?  I would love to get out there with my girls, but have a 12:30 game.

#42 04.17.08 1:46pm

Ken
Website

Jim, looks like everyone is planning to meet at 1pm...

#43 04.17.08 2:08pm

Christine Q

Can someone be specific with me on exactly where we will meet?

#44 04.17.08 4:15pm

Ken
Website

Christine, the trailhead on Lancaster Road in Berlin, right near you guys.

Travel up Bolton Road in Clinton, and go like you are headed to The Bolton Roadhouse. Before you get there, turn right onto McNulty Road, which changes to Lancaster Road once you cross the line into Berlin. About a mile or so (maybe even less than that), you'll see the trailhead on the right.

#45 04.17.08 4:30pm

JoelF
Website

JimMcD wrote:

Joel,  how long does it usually take?  I would love to get out there with my girls, but have a 12:30 game.

It's a big area but you can see lots of cool stuff right of the road...once you cross the RR tracks which are less than 100 yrds into the woods....so if you only have a half hour or so you could still see quite a bit.

JoelF

#46 04.17.08 4:32pm

JoelF
Website

Christine Q wrote:

Can someone be specific with me on exactly where we will meet?

Go past the Clinton Fish and Game and it's on the right as you are heading toward Berlin....Ken's directions work as well tongue

JoelF

#47 04.17.08 6:43pm

JimMcD

JoelF wrote:

It's a big area but you can see lots of cool stuff right of the road...once you cross the RR tracks which are less than 100 yrds into the woods....so if you only have a half hour or so you could still see quite a bit.

I was thinking more along the lines of catching up if the game finished up early enough.

#48 04.17.08 10:00pm

Ken
Website

So does this excursion qualify as the first unofficial ClintonMass.com discussion forums meetup? 8)

#49 04.17.08 10:05pm

Big Red

Ken wrote:

So does this excursion qualify as the first unofficial ClintonMass.com discussion forums meetup? 8)

I think so.  Oddly, I thought it would have occurred years ago at the Old T's.

If you can dream-and not make dreams your master; If you can think-and not make thoughts your aim...

#50 04.17.08 10:09pm

SJT

I notice two parking areas. Is it the one with SVT sign, or the one a bit more south?

(we apologise for the inconvenience)

Board footer